Dropbox destroyed my old account, Locally deleting every digital file I own and now, on a new account, refuse to honer their customer agreement, knowingly over charging me every month.

77 of 101 Dropbox reviews

A long story short:

I was a Dropbox client happily paying $49.99 (£33.15) a month for 5TB of storage on their Pro package.

I make corporate videos and I keep all my working files, invoicing, quotes, backups, etc on dropbox.

It is early September 2015, I was 4 days away from handing in 3 video projects for a conference I was working on for the last 2 months.

A client of mine sent me link, which he and I thought was to share a folder with him.

In one click by me, he had total access to all my folders and all my files.

My account was engulfed into his so he had total control over everything of mine.

I was then locked out of Dropbox.

In a panic, my client tried to reverse his actions and managed to delete my dropbox account and all my files, online and locally on both my work computers.

It felt like my life ended, thousands of hours of lost work.

I tried desperately to get hold of dropbox and reverse what had been done and found it impossible to speak to anyone in the world from the company for about 2 hours.

When I did get through Dropbox refused to help me, because I wasn’t the account holder and actually I no longer had an account with Dropbox.

Eventually 3 hours later with my client on speaker phone and me on another phone speaking to dropbox we managed to get the files back on my clients account.

Luckily my client was very understanding and gave me full access to his account so I could start downloading my current projects.

I lost 1 days work, dealing with dropbox and downloading my working files locally again.

I’m still syncing lost files from this event locally over a month later.

It took about 2 weeks for me to start a new dropbox account and finally separate my account from my client’s.

Dropbox and I agreed that I would return to the price and package I was paying before and I thought that was the end of the matter.

Unfortunately When I got my first Dropbox bill I noticed I was now paying $63 (£39.99) a month, $13 (£7.61) more than we agreed, which they never told me about.

I complained and after several slow, one email a week, responses from them all they could offer me was a refund or 1 months free discount.

I need dropbox because no other service gives me all the functions I need and It will take a massive headache to move 3 TB of data to a new service.

Also 1 month free is only $63 (£39.99) but they are over changing me $156 ($13x12) a year. So I feel that is in adequate.

Eventually my complaints were passed up but the response I got was the same, dropbox refused to honour their agreement. Please see email chain below.

So I’m left with no other option but to share my story online to anyone that will listen.

Please see the email chain below:

Fynn, Oct 9, 4:08 AM:

Hi Chris

I am not a lawyer but the person that is responsible for all payments disputes. If we are not able to resolve this issue within the options that have been offered to you, I'm afraid we will not be able to resolve the issue for you.

Please let me know if you would like to apply any of these options.

Chris, Oct 9, 3:37 AM:

Hi Fynn,

No this doesn’t help at all and can you please point out which law says that you offer someone one price but you charge them more? I think you will find that the law is quite firmly on my side in this matter. Please read this. (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/42/enacted)

You keep saying the same things and you are wrong, you are responsible for the currency exchange rates and the deals you offer your customers.

Your responsibility is to give me the service that we agreed. I have already told you that I need dropbox and am not willing to give it up.

You have done nothing to try to resolve this matter. In fact you are wasting my time and I would like this matter to be referred to your supervisor immediately.

Can you please tell me your full name and title, which department you work in and in which country?

I’m not going round in circles anymore and if you are unable to help me then I will be forced to take this to the next step and use other channels to resolve this matter.

Fynn, Oct 9, 3:03 AM:

Hi Chris

Thank you for your reply.

Let me please clarify that we are simply complying with what is required from us by law. Again, we are sorry that the currency change was not noticed by one of our support agents, which is why I am offering the following options.

We cannot made responsible for currency exchange rates, though I would be happy to refund the amount for your first month, as the higher value came as a surprise to you due to our mistake, granting you this month for free. Seeing that this is a monthly account, you should be able to cancel your current subscription before its renewal date if you do not wish to continue paying for 5TB in GBP.

If you are able to apply other billing countries, you can upgrade again using that billing country after your first free month.

I hope this helps. If there is anything else I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to get back to me!

Chris, Oct 8, 4:01 PM:

Hi Fynn,

Your internal payment structure is none of my concern. I have no idea how it works and I don’t want to know, it’s nothing to do with me.

I will repeat this again, we had a deal that I would pay $49.99 a month, it is not my fault you gave me the wrong information, its your fault, we agreed that amount, end of story.

So if your system means that you have to charge me £39.99 a month and the only way you can reimburse me is with a monthly refund then I want 3 months free.

This is why:

Currently you are over charging me £7.61 every month.

Over a normal 12 month contract that's £7.61 x 12 = £91.32

3 Months free will be £119.97.

This is £28.65 discount on what Dropbox and I agreed. Which is pittance for the amount of insensitive *** you have put me though BUT if you are concerned about your bottom line and we agree to the above, I will remburse you the £28.65, please just give me dropbox’s account details and I’ll put the £28.65 in their account tomorrow.

Fynn, Oct 8, 12:58 PM:

Hi Chris

Thank you for your response.

I do apologise for any inconvenience, though the way things are set up, we are legally obliged to charge you in GBP right now. I'd love to change that for you but we just really can't.

When Noah told you that you can pay in USD, he did that to his best knowledge. He just wasn't aware of the limitations. We are sorry for this miscommunication, but there is nothing we can change about that anymore. If you have a US credit card, I'd be happy to set you up on USD. As long as your billing country is set to the United Kingdom, I'm afraid we're not getting around the GBP charge.

I don't see a problem in refunding your first month, basically giving you your first month for free, and I'd be open for any other suggestions. Just let me know what we can do instead of changing the currency, because that is something we just cannot do.

Chris, Oct 8, 6:10 AM:

Hi Fynn,

It’s quite simple. I would like the service at the price you offered me. Nothing more.

I don’t accept this “take it or leave it” attitude. I have paid you a lot of money and I am continuing to pay you a lot of money and I quite frankly don’t deserve this.

I don’t want a refund because I need Dropbox and there is no other service that fits my requirements and I don’t want one months discount because I think that is totally inadequate and unfair.

Quite frankly I think you are handling this terribly, I can’t seem to get any response from you guys that has any thought, compassion or urgency for the predicament Dropbox has put me in. I don’t want to keep e-mailing you and waiting a week for a response and I don’t understand why you can’t honour your agreement with me.

I want to pay the agreed $49.99 (£32.38) a month for 5TB of space, that’s what we agreed so that’s what I expect.

Fynn, Oct 8, 5:49 AM:

Hi Chris

Thank you for getting in touch!

Noah asked me to review your case. My name is Fynn and I'm glad to help.

From what I can read, Noah has already described the issue and offered a refund. May I ask how you'd like me to help beyond that in particular?

Thank you very much in advance. If there is anything else I can assist you with in the meantime, just let me know.

Chris, Oct 2, 2:21 AM:

Hi Noah,

Thanks for your help in this matter but I feel that we may be going round in circles. It is very frustrating for the both of us and I would like to make it clear that this isn’t an issue with how Noah has been dealing with this problem, apart from the very long time it takes to get a response.

As a customer I have the right to receive the service that Dropbox has offered (see here (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted)) and it’s quite obvious that Dropbox is falling short of their commitments, not only in dealing with my initial problem but also in the aftermath in getting me set up again and the difficulty in communicating with you.

I have looked at other online storage options and unfortunately I can’t find a service that has all the features I need so stopping my subscription is not an option.

I have paid and am paying a lot of money to dropbox, (far more than I think I should for what I am getting, I think $30 a month would be much fairer), and I feel that you are quite frankly taking advantage.

Would you please escalate this serious issue to your superior and ask them to email or call me directly? Sooner rather than later.

Chris, Sep 30, 12:50 PM:

Dear Noah,

I’m sorry it’s quite simple, we has a deal and Dropbox must honer that deal.

If you can only do that by a discount then you owe me £7.73 x 12 = £92.76 this is the amount I should be discounted or refunded.

It’s not my fault that you gave me the wrong price, it’s yours, it’s a contract and I’m holding you to that contract.

I don’t accept your resins and you haven’t explain why you feel you can get out of it. It’s simply not fair to put your mistake on me.

Noah, Sep 30, 12:09 PM:

Hi Chris,

I understand your frustration, but unfortunately the situation stands that because you are based in the UK we are unable to bill you the price for 5TB in USD at $49.99. It is simply not possible to bill you this price in Pound Sterling due to the way our system works.

Inlight of this I am able to offer you a pro-rated refund on your current subscription or if you wish to continue with your current subscription I am able to offer you a one month only discount on the monthly subscription price.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Chris, Sep 25, 9:32 AM:

Hi Noah,

I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand.

We agreed on a price and that is the price I expect to pay. It's got nothing to do with an American credit card and only refunding me one month is frankly a massive joke.

I expect Dropbox to honour the deal we agreed, nothing less.

I blame Dropbox for getting me into this mess and quite frankly I've been treated pretty badly since.

Noah, Sep 25, 8:27 AM:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your patience while we looked into this issue.

I am afraid that I have not realised that your new account was based in the UK as opposed to the old account which was registered in the US, hence why you were quoted a price in USD.

The price for 5TB of Dropbox Pro space in the UK is £39.99.

Alternatively if you have an american credit card I am able to set up your account again as registered in the US and put you on the $49.99 pricing, but I can not do this if you do not have an american credit card.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this causes.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Chris, Sep 22, 4:15 AM:

Hi Noah,

I don’t think you understand.

We agreed on a charge of $49.99 US dollars (£32.38) but you guys are charging me £39.99 a month ($63 US dollars).

You are charging me £7.61 a month too much.

It’s not what we agreed!

We agreed £32.38 ($49.99), which includes the VAT. (VAT is always included in the final price in the UK)

Noah, Sep 22, 4:02 AM:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for getting back in touch! Apologies for the delay in responding.

I do not see another charge on your account using the Paypal info you provided, if you have another Paypal ID I am more than happy to look for this.

I can see on your account that you are being charged £39.99 for 5TB of Pro storage. You were credited with £7.73 for prorated plan change so this left your total for this month at £32.26.

If there is anything else I can clarify please let me know.

Chris, Sep 17, 2:43 AM:

Reason: Billing

Account Owner: My Account

Payment Type: PayPal

Anything Else: Dear Dropbox,

I think you are charging me twice this month, for an error caused by you guys. Also I agreed to pay $50 a month but going by your rude and inconsiderate letter you are going to charge me and I quote "£39.99 including applicable tax, (minus any applicable credits or promos) monthly", which is nearer $63, and that doesn't include your taxes. (Taxes are alway included sale price in the UK.) I think you guys are ripping me off anyway for the sevice you are providing (basically charging me 5 pro packages) and this plus the way I have been treated the last week is really taking the ***.

Please explain why you feel you can treat paying customers this way?

Yours sincerely,

Noah, Sep 17, 11:38 AM:

Hi Chris,

Apologies for the delay in getting this resolved.

Your storage has now been increased to 5TB and you are back on monthly billing of $49.99.

All the best,

Chris, Sep 16, 8:44 AM:

Hi Dropbox,

I'm still waiting for this and I currently can't update any of my files!!

Would someone please sort this out as I'm wasting a lot of time and I really need to sync my files asap.

Chris, Sep 16, 4:10 AM:

Hi Dropbox,

I still can’t access my account at the moment because my space has not been increased.

Can someone please update this asap as I can’t work until it has been done.

Thanks,

Chris, Sep 16, 3:29 AM:

Hi Noah,

When do you think my dropbox will update to 5TB as I would really like to start using it as soon as possible.

thanks,

Chris, Sep 16, 2:59 AM:

Hi Noah,

I confirm I would like 5tb of storage for $50 per month.

Thanks,

Noah, Sep 16, 2:57 AM:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for calling Dropbox Support today! This email includes a ticket number for your reference.

Please just reply to this email telling us the amount of storage that you wish to purchase for your Dropbox Pro account is 5TB and that you are willing to pay the $49.99 a month for this storage.

Here are some additional Dropbox for Business resources:

Dropbox for Business User Guide:

Dropbox Help Center:

Dropbox Forum:

Noah

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Dropbox Pro Software Package
Review category
Software
review #713355 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Dropbox? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
77 of 101 Dropbox reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Dropbox. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Dropbox.
Filing a new complaint about
×